View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

To answer/repond to various points made in this thread since my last post:

UmpLarryJohnson: As to the relief pitcher asking the BU for the count: As I indicated in my post, the pitcher would ask the BU for the count after his warm-ups but before his first pitch. (Re-read my post). I hope to God you're still not out in the outfield at this point. (However, I think a number of posters in this thread are out in left field, permanently.)

NEohioref: It is not a written instruction to pro umps not to carry an indicator on the bases but it is DEFINITELY a spoken instruction. If you carry one on the base you will be "zinged" on your evaluation as this procedure (don't carry one on the bases) has been clearly communicated.

To all about homeplate: Frankly, and not to sound like I have too big an ego, but once a game gets going and I get into a groove behind the plate...I don't really need to see the plate in order to call balls and strikes. The plate doesn't move...trust me, I know where it is. I keep it spotless...to keep up appearences for the RATS. If the plate is dirty, they will say, "how can you call that a strike, you don't even know where the plate is." The truth is that the plate doesn't move. I know where it is. But I placate them and keep my plate spotless.