View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:49am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy P
As F2 is being looked after, a player comes in my face asking, "why didn't you call that, that's terrible". The coach gets in between us and attempts to push him away. The player tries to get around his coach and at me again, giving me this look as though he wanted to kick my azz. Bing, one gone!
I would not have even waited for the coach to get between us. He left his position in the field to argue a call. He is gone gone gone!!!

Quote:
Coach then asks me, "why did you just throw out my right fielder?" "Because your right fielder should be in right field, not coming up to me questioning a judgement call". Then he starts to rant and rave, I tell him that's enough, we are done with this conversation too. He continues, Bing, two gone!
I wasn't there, so I have no idea what "He continues" means. At this point, I might have given him a second warning to end the argument before throwing him though. Hard to say if he deserved the ejection. He was probably livid that you missed the force play slide rule interference. I would have been livid! But, I have to be soft towards you on this. I have only had to make 1 force play slide rule interference call at home in 21 years, and luckily, I got it right!

Quote:
Now, here comes the assistant coach. Looks at me and says, "that's ridiculous". Bing, three gone. Assistant coach then continues to come at me, I stand there, and he walks up and bumps me. This is the first time I have been bumped. My first impulse was to blast this knuckle head, but I just kinda smirked and walked away.
Hmmmm....So the new head coach makes an observation, which is starting to sort of appear to be spot on, and you toss him. Well, I actually am not too surprised that he bumped you afterwards! Usually after an ejection, I turn and walk away and let my partner peel them off so as to avoid the bump! Bumps are serious, and I certainly don't want to bring one on. I was taught to turn away after an ejection. That is what you should have done. You have already pissed the guy off by:

1 - Getting the call wrong.
2 - Letting the right fielder stay in the game for a bit after his first comment towards you after he left his position to make it!
3 - Dumping the other coach who obviously knew the force play slide rule better than the umpire did!
4 - Dumping him for saying "That's ridiculous".

Quote:
Play continues after coaches get out of site. Base hit, 2 score, game over 1 minute later.

Thoughts?
Your wrongly applied ruling could have had the runner going into 3rd out too! Thus, the "hit" by the next batter might not have scored any runs!!!

I am assuming that the catcher was going to make a play on the batter/runner when he was interfered by R1, thus, there still would have been runners on 2nd and 3rd. In this case, your wrongly applied ruling would not have made much difference with the batter knocking in two runs to end the game.

BUT...........making a big double play with the bases loaded sure has a way of energizing a team and a pitcher. While it is impossible to say whether your decision either way would have effected the next play, only an idiot would say that it wouldn't make a difference eh?

Live and learn I suppose. You may never have this happen again in your career. Hopefully it will so you can get it right next time.

Slow down on giving the heave ho. Look for ways to keep people in the game. I ref indoor soccer and was trained by a US Indoor national level instructor (he trains the pro guys) and he is fond of saying (concerning ejecting players) "Set the bar high. But by god if they go over it, BOOK 'EM!!!".