View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I want to be very careful here as all I can really do is read your words, make a mental picture in my mind and rule as I "think" I would do on the field.

"IMO, I treated it and saw it as a play at 1st base."

This is the first "problem." The play must be consiuder the same as a play at second or third in a force play situation.

"Ran through the plate."

At the plate this is the only thing he cannot do.

As BigUmp has noted he must slide or avoid . . . the instant he did not he is open for a FPSR violation.

The plate is even a little different that even 2nd and 3rd. With the plate flat to the ground the runner still cannot slide past the "base."

What really matters in your play is when the contact occurred . . . if it was in front of the plate (base) rather than at or past the plate (base) then you could have nuttin' -- HOWEVER -- if the contact occurred at the pate or past the plate and there was no attempt to avoid it would be FPSR>

From what you have posted -- an in my ivory tower -- I think you missed a Force Play Slide Rule violation.

BTW, speaking to your title of the thread . . . you would have still had the ejections . . . it just would have been players and rats from the offensive team.

Regards,
The contact was approx. 3-4 ft. on the 3rd base side of home plate.

Sorry, I tried to paint a mental picture. Let me try one more time.

As the catcher stretched for the throw, he held his foot on the plate after a slight bobble, pulling him up the line. As he came up, his pivot foot was straddling the line. As he went to throw to 1st, his pivot foot came up and R3ran into it spinning the catcher around with no throw.

I must admit, if the throw was made and was errant, I would have made the same call. I think

Thanks all for your input!