View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Here is the problem; you and others are trying to oversimplify this discussion. You do not see a Major League Umpire or a D1 umpire brush off the bag with a plate brush.

95% of the folks on this board are not MLB, MiLB or D1. Never do any of these umps ever have to make a call from 120'

Field conditions are also much different at most Babe ruth, travel fields and in house fields. Sometimes one has to improvise

Quote:
Now it is called a plate brush for a reason. The very same reason you do not see basketball officials wear a collared shirt either.
Brushing off a base so you can see it at 120' is much different than wearing a collared shirt.
One is necessitated to help insure a correct call, the other is a matter of uniform.

Quote:
If you do it either means you are not very well trained or you are not a very knowledgeable as an umpire or official.
The trained umpire by definition has xray eyes and can see thrugh the dirt at 120'
Give me a break!!
It's a matter of seeing the base or not seeing the base.

Quote:
Now you can think whatever you like. But whether you like it or not, when someone is trying to decide to give someone a big game or move up in a level, they will use things like what I just told you as part of the discussion.
You are such an elitist.
I'd venture to say that over 95% of the baseball games played in this country are below the HS varsity level. When umpiring below that level field conditions vary from excellent to very poor.
When I'm doing a solo 15 yr old game I'm not interviewing for the ASU vs USC game. I'm doing what's necessary to give the 15 yr olds a quality officiated game and if that means I have to brush off 2nd in order to see it, so be it.

Quote:
Because if you bring out a plate brush to wipe off the a base, chances area you are doing other things that are not considered professional.
Also someone might scrutinize you much harsher as well. I have yet to find anyone that teaches this. I did this for about 2 games and I was told to stop. I did not question the person, but they told me it looked bad and made me seem like a rookie and I have not done this since.
If it's 2 man I totally agree, not if you're solo and you can't see the white of the bag.

Quote:
This is no different than wearing a ball bag on the bases as well.
It's no different than wearing a collared shirt in basketball but much different than brushing a base out of necessity

Quote:
Also keep in mind you said you were working a 15 year old travel tournament. That level does not have the same expectation of umpire professionalism as working a HS varsity game or a college and pro game.
See elitist comment above