View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:05am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
I agree that 3 man mechanics are quite nice if you are used to them. Randomly grab 3 2-man mechanic umpires and throw them on the field and the result is not always good.
Wow. I didn't expect my question to cause such a stir. But since three-man is only used during the playoffs in FED, it makes sense why there is the occasional problem.

In the ten playoff games I broadcasted this past season, the OP sitch was the only time there was a clusterflop. The runner tagged second (I don't know if he left early or not, I was watching the ball) and headed to third. The ball beat the runner and was tagged before his foot hit third base as he slid. None of the umpires made a call. I kid you not, they just stood around looking at each other. Even the batting team's HC told me after the game the runner was out. The defense then appealed to second that the runner left early and the runner was then called out. Maybe a make up...I don't know.

I was just curious because I am not familiar at all with three-man mechanics as I normally broadcast so few playoff games. In all ten games, this was the ONLY screwup I saw. The rest of that game and all the others went smoothly as far as the officiating went. I even got to call a perfect game...except the kid that threw it was for the other team.

Thanks for all the input.