Thread: PBUC 3.14
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
First, the R3 to home and B-R to first only applies if it's a bases loaded situation.

Evans is wrong, in my opinion, for the bases loaded situation because:

There was a time when, if a batter hit a game winning HR in the last inning, only the "necessary" runs counted and the batter did not get credit for the home run. With the advent of the HR as "big deal" the exception was added to allow, not require the extra runs solely so the Big Dude would get the credit. It was a favor to the batter, and did not affect the outcome of the game. The sole intent of the exception was to get the batter credit. The notion that, as a bonus, the defense could get an inning ending out is ludicrous.
Rich: Evans is not wrong. I was umpiring when 4.09(b) and the enforcement provisions were added to the book.

Batted ball: Everybody must advance, all the way back to Merkle in the Cubs/Giants game of 1908.

Award: Only R3 (balk) or R3 and BR, bases loaded (base on balls, hit by pitch, catcher's interference).

The change is so recent, there are many people still alive who had input on the 1955 and 1957 changes. The background and purpose of the rule are well known.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Apr 4th, 2002 at 10:56 AM]