View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
As I posted elsewhere, how long before a player is seen in the dugout with a file sharpening their spikes, and how soon will the other coach complain to the umpire that S/HE has to do something about it?
Mike,
That's part of the imtimidation I spoke of. I don't know whether that's good or bad - the actual use of "high" spike is and will properly be dealt with by ejection.
Granted, I played HS baseball, but I used to use as much intimidation as I could - it's just another tool to playing the game. I'd sit on the end of the bench, shortly before the game and do something to get attention from the other team WHILE I took off my spikes and made a show of sharpening them. I never spiked anyone, never got tossed, I ate a few pitches, but I seldom got put out on a steal or when I stretched a hit.
Another thing this may lead to is players policing their own games - much as baseball and men's fastpitch did when I played - take a cheap shot, eat a pitch or hard tag.
This rule change may well be a part of changing the "culture" of high school ball. And that may lead to more serious ball with LESS participation. Since Fed is big on participation, regardless of what some butt head sez, I suspect they have not really analyzed this change and what may happen.