View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 11:25am
Ch1town

What's your response?

Midway through the first half of a very competitive Mens Comp ballgame with some above the rim play, both teams are 4-1 the winner has sole ownership of 1st place heading into the second half of the season, a player from Team A complains (in passing) about the other team “talking too much”… I ignore his statement.

Early second half still a back & forth 1-3 point game, player from Team B picks up his 4th on an illegal hands foul & shows resentment towards my female partners call (who happens to be a really good HS official but never worked there before) then he proceeds to drop the F bomb.
Needless to say I stick him, #5 & he’s done. “I need a sub guys…”

Time out around the 12 minute mark, the same player from Team A now frustrated, directly asks me “why they are allowed to talk so much”?

After 28 minutes elapsed in the game I’m starting to understand what his definition of “talking” is.
Ie: after crisp moves in post for a score “that’s all day” or “he’s can’t guard you” could be heard coming from players, the bench & fans alike.
After great hustle plays & defensive stops “that’s what I’m talking about” or “time to step it up” was also being said.

So seeing where this is going & not wanting to go to the -act like you own a pair- card, I responded with “I just Td them up for talking, what more do you want me to do”?

He obviously didn’t know how to respond to my response, looked befuddled & walked away.

Team B went on to win by 1 point with Team A missing a last second heave from just beyond the 3 point arc in front of their bench.

Here comes Crybaby Sally again “I was just saying why should we go out of our way to behave & they don’t have too”?

I said when they misbehaved they were punished with the technical foul & you were awarded 2 shots & the ball.

Crybaby Sally: Well, they talk the whole game & you didn’t stop them, we are already intimidated by them. We can never beat them because they always talk & you need to do your job & take care of that!!!!!

After hearing the TRUTH come out of his own mouth: “we are already intimidated by them” plus the other -we lost & I have to blame somebody- routine, my only response is “OK ok, that’ll be enough…”

Crybaby Sally: You’re horrible & you wont be getting paid anymore because we aren’t coming to this league again… you suck yada yada yada & stomped out of the gym like my 10 year old daughter.

I know 90% of you all wouldn’t work this level of play, but for my own future reference what would be a better way to handle players who don’t like their opponents “talking”???