View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If that is the case, then you are responsible to the school board or the administration. That is ultimately where the money comes from right?
If you are talking about HS only then the board got it from property tax receipts, Homeowners got it from many and various ways and eventually it all came from a printing press in Denver. I'm not suggesting we are accountable to the US Treasury dept.
But realistically each school has a budget, each sport has a budget and that budget pays for the officials.
It's a line item on the baseball budget

"Umpires" $XXXX

Part of $XXXX ends up in your pocket when you officiate their game

Quote:
I am responsible to the game not the teams. If the assignor sends me somewhere I am obligated to follow his rules.
No, you're obligated to follow the rules that the league has told the assignor they are playing by and if there is a gray area the league has empowered the assignor to use his discretion.

Quote:
A coach might want me to do something like let a kid play with illegal equipment and I do not have to answer to any coach for those kinds of things.
The coach, while being a part of the customer organization, does not have authority on his own to change the established rule set that the customer has decided on, which is why you would not change a rule for him.

Quote:
Wrong again. I have power over myself. If they have power I gave it to them.
agreed

Quote:
I have to the power to sit at home and not work at all.
Until the bank or landlord show up then try telling them you're in charge

Last edited by Don Mueller; Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 03:10pm.