View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Isn't it amazing how many comedic genuises fail to recognize their genius?!?

Now, as for what I said that has so pi$$ed you off:
NFHS isn't about playing games at "a high level of competition." NFHS is about participation. Renton (WA) High School hasn't won 10 games in five years, but there have been about 200 girls who have participated. There are far more Rentons out there than whatever school you claim to coach.

My wife, who specializes in that sort of thing, points out that I need to be more clear because of the comprehension problem from which you may be suffering (based on the lack of comprehension, misspelling, taking things out of context, et cetera).

Here is an example that you should be able to understand about participation.

For many years, the state of Indiana was renown for having one classification for basketball. It will surprise you to know there was even a movie made about it. It was named "Hoosiers" and even had talking AND was in COLOR. Unbelievable!

Anyway...

Just a couple years ago, that tradition went away. Now they have multiple classifications competing in basketball playoffs competing toward multiple state championships. Why? So more high school student-athletes can participate in the experience.

What a novel concept!

Now, Mr. Nice Bkbjones is going away. At no point did I ever say anything about NFHS not being about skills. Any coach who isn't teaching their players skills is a bull$hit coach. Do you take me for a flaking moron or something?

As for being a namedropper, well, I was talked out of dropping some real names on you. Let's just say that I have met more heads of state than you have capable spelling or grammar teachers. It's been my pleasure to have visited with Mary Struckhoff on more than one occasion. I've known several members of past and present rules committees for several years. I'm proud to count Diane Kolb as a fellow umpire and, more importantly, a very best friend.

In every case, every person I have known on that committee has a passion for making not only a game so the most highly skilled players may succeed, but also making it a level playing field so that as many people participate as possible. Just as there is a place for Woodinville HS, there is a place for Franklin HS. It's my pleasure to know both coaches, the 64 and the 0. the Woodinville coach is also one of my good friends. When we're on the field we're not friends, for he coaches and I umpire. We've also comiserated about things like 64-0 games and how $hitty many members of the (in)human race can be. We've also talked about how nice it is to be able to be out there.

As for your field, I couldn't care less how it looks. You see, I'm out here pretty much on borrowed time as it is. We all are to some extent. Don't over worry about how good your field looks, and don't take any of this game or life for granted. Just being able to be vertical and being on a ball field is more than good enough for this man.