View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 02:05am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I didn't get the whole "rat" thing my first few years of umpiring.

I had this misguided "be a nice guy--no one will get mad at you" notion, until someone set me straight. He was a local guy who had umped about four seasons of organized ball.

He basically said what some of you have iterated: They will bend you, cajole you, suck up to you and [bleep] you at every turn.

Here's a great example: Big game, tightly contested, then things turn sour for the Weasels one inning, and their ace allows 3-4 runs.

After the inning, I (PU) am standing on the foul line, all by my lonesome. The Weasels' manager sidles up to me, all nice like.

"Jeeze," he says, "that kid [his pitcher] hasn't had that bad an inning all year. He's a nice kid."

So, like a dope, I answer him in kind. "Yeah, skip. He looked good to me the first coupla innings, and then he just seemed to lose it for a few batters."

Suddenly, Rattus changes his tone of voice. "And your lousy strike zone ain't helpin' him neither."

QED.

Ace in CT
Here's another viewpoint. You have learned that people are systematically dishonest. Wow. "Welcome to the world, won't you come on in."

Look at this forum, the dishonesty and the disingenuity is a perfect study in human nature.

Oh, I can hear the Forum Elite (100,000 post Members and their Poodle Pups) bleating about their honesty..all the "rats" are the dishonest ones.

When Mr. Rattus said what he said, you had two choices. Be hurt over the fact that he was being dishonest ( a truly irrational view of humans) or be comfortable and adjust. Don't stop having these talks, coaches with agendas are everywhere. Because if you are realistic, you are also prepared.

"Coach, here I thought we were good buddies. I suppose there is no use in speaking to each other again. It would be too painful. Understood?"