View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Seriously...I can throw around big names out there too, but I wont. I have had communication with STRUCKHOFF as well. I am not impressed. I am defensive because all I have read here is that high school coaches, players and programs, for the most part, are not qualified to wear metal spikes or coach the sport. You guys have stated over and over again that HS softball and the Federation is about participation and not about highly skilled softball. I would say that in our area, those highly skilled travel ball players are also playing high school softball and are probably going on to play college ball. High School ball is not rec ball. I totally agree that HS softball is about participation, but that doesnt mean they should not wear metal spikes. If baseball teams are bad, do they get banned from wearing metal spikes.

I think that it real simple, the players have the opportunity now to wear either metal or non-metal. We play on the same surface as boys and the boys are allowed to wear them becasue they are safer, so why should the girls not be offered the same opportunity. I am happy there are teachers out there too that are involved on the sport. Most of the coaches that I know are continually trying to become better coaches at clinics, just like umps have. I have also been to some of those ump schools. That is for another time!! So, when the post earlier stated sarcastically that "we have another knowledgable coach here" that kind of summed up the oppinion I was feeling. I take a lot of pride in how hard I have worked to be the best coach I can be. Still not there yet, but always working towards it. As I am sure all of you are.

When I stated that this ruling did not invlove the umpires I was stating that it is an equipment rule, not a judgment call, or anything that affects the play on the field or the outcome of the game involving umpires. Just like a bat or helmet. You check them and then play. If metal spikes were so dangerous and deadly, why are we not seeing court cases invloving metal spikes like bats? I understand the bat issue. Lives are in danger with those things.

Just know that there are a lot of coaches out there, travel or HS, that are good and bad. But, that should have no bearing on players wearing metal spikes. You are right, players and coaches will adjust and it will be for the better. Sorry if I came across pissed off...I was. I know how hard my kids have worked and a lot of other girls I have worked with. They should be afforded the same opportunities to push the limits of their abilities safely, just as the boys do. Same type sport, same surface, same equipment....that is all.

Also, If you ever saw my field, you would not make the comment about raking!!