View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 04:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Being in Indy, I can understand your NFHS prejudice. My comments were not directed to any specific organization, I just disagree with the rule change.

This didn't just pop out of thin air. This possible change has been discussed for a while now and the only reasoning I have ever heard from anyone, but mostly coaches is, "the boys can wear them, why can't the girls." No other reasons or point of emphasis, just simple gender-based reasoning.

You might also notice that I didn't defend males wearing them, either. Hell, they've outlawed metal bats in HS ball in some areas, but allow metals spikes. That makes a lot of sense.

All I have done is offer an opinion and basis for it. If you don't like it fine, you don't have to like it. Then again, you have acted in an extremely defensive manner other than when you are attacking someone, but not nearly as much compelling discussion in favor of why they should wear them from you except what I stated above, "because the boys do".

Yeah, I know, you said the players would get better traction. Metal spikes do not provide that much more traction, even in questionable situations. But what would I know. I'm only an umpire discussing rules on an umpire board.
The NFHS banned metal spikes for a long time in baseball. Eventually they concluded that the increased traction from the metal spikes outweighted the potential danger of them -- that there were more injuries with non-metal.

It's a non-issue, except when F2 gouges your new patent leather plate shoes. Grrr.