View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawallac
Thank you for some of you looking through the obvious sterotypes for coaches to give some insight to this issue. The question was what else could I have done? Later in the game between innings the umpire at first base told me "off the record" at my request that he saw what I saw - the runner safe and in full contact with the base. I respect umpires and their authority on the field. I also expect them to respect the players and the game enough to do what it takes to arrive at the correct calls and rulings during the game.
No self-respecting umpire will ever tell a coach that his partner was wrong. It further enhances the believe that umpires don't know what they're doing. I've had many coach/players/fans ask me if I thought my partner made the right call, I just shrug and say, "Obviously so because he felt comfortable enough with the call that he didn't feel the need to ask me for help." At which point I turn and walk away.

This way it doesn't say that he was wrong or right but rather as an umpire, I don't comment on any of my partner's calls.