View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Positioning on throw home

I was watching the Angels-Orioles game on TV yesterday, and the game ended with Vladamir Guerrero from right gunning down Melvin Mora at the plate. The ball clearly arrived before Mora got to the base, but it looked like Mora arguably got his foot to the plate before the catcher applied the tag.

Trouble is, there was no way the home plate umpire could have discerned which was first: The foot on the plate, or the tag to his midsection. The PU was positioned on the first base side of the plate, looking directly up the left field line. The catcher's body was completely in the way of his line of sight.

I don't consider myself an expert (I've had three years of experience and just had my first varsity high school games this season), but I've always instinctively positioned myself on the third base side. I would think that the majority of close calls would require that I get a clear view of the third base side of the plate, and that position allows me to see it. It seems to me that if you're on the first base side, you're going to blocked out by the catcher a majority of the time.

Tell me if I'm wrong. Perhaps the PU moved in that direction in fear of Guerrero taking his head off. I could understand that, but a little awareness and mobility can take care of that issue, IMO.