View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
As sad as it is to say, FP is just catching up to SP. Too many Gene Mauch/Billy Martin/Earl Weaver wannabes that believe being a jerk is part of the game.

Well, being a jerk is NOT part of the game. As much as you hear about the whinny babies at the high level, men's SP, during Nationals, you (or at least I) never hear much more than "C'mon, blue!" from most of the players when they think you missed one. Many of the managers will protect their players, but that is part of their job and as long as an umpire understands that, the better for all.

Now, please note my comments are not absolute. There are the idiots and quite often even their own teammates will thank you for sparing the team.

However, I can only think that the FP coaches, especially the JO, have got to be trying to live up to some expectations placed on them by the parents/organization. I have observed conversations in the stands about a manager not going out to argue a call. Of course, there was no consideration to the possibility that it was correct and the coach knew it.

Like many of the players, people emulate what they see on TV. It is stupid, ridiculous and quite absurd, but it is also the truth. One only needs to observe the some of these "reality" shows being promoted heavily to understand how stupid people can act in public and think it is acceptable.

It is sad, but I have stood in front of local associations and advocated ejections for those who deserve them. Too many umpires want to be a "nice guy" and many players will respond in kind. Right up until the moment they think you just cost their team the world championship and as it seems, that is on every play of every game.

Some of these idiots cross the line because they don't believe the umpire has the nerve to dump them. Some are idiots who are just flexing what little muscle they have, acting the hero who is taking one for the team.

Well, I decided about 8 years ago that I will not be part of that circus. If I dump someone, I just do it. No big overhand toss, no thumb, no loud, boisterous announcement. I just tell them they are ejected and then find the coach for a substitute. It can take the wind out of their sails and often, the coach isn't even aware a player has been ejected until I ask for the substitute.

Just thinking out loud.
I think the emotionless ejection serves two purposes..getting rid of an idiot while not feeding his ego.

But the real answer to testerone driven players is a league that won't tolerate ejections.. get tossed and you are suspended for two weeks, all games including co-ed with your wife, and the kids and grandparents in the stands.

This is not to say we, as umpires, should not expect arguments nor not know how to deal with them...But when they go beyond civility the players and coaches need to pay a higher price.