View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
And the Cubbies beat the White Sox. Ozzie got tossed and the Sox GM is starting to lose patience. Cubbies are en fuego! Well, as hot as a team can be when they're 4 games under .500; but they are in second place in the division.

All in all, it was a pretty fun weekend of baseball. I didn't get to see much of it on Saturday, b/c of my daughter's birthday party. But what I saw on Fri and Sun was a lotta fun.
Any time the Cubs sweep the Cardinals or White Sox, it's a pretty fun weekend of baseball. Did you see the play that Ozzie argued and got tossed? I was having dinner at a restaraunt (should've been Chili's, right, Bob?) and didn't get to hear what was happening. I probably need to go over to the baseball side to read more about it, but I'll admit it didn't make sense to me, and it went entirely in the Cubs' favor. Runners on 1st and second, no one out. DeRosa hits a line shot over the right fielder's head that bounces off the wall. The throw comes back in, and by the time the play ends, 2 Cub runners have been caught and tagged out in rundowns, and no runs scored. Well, the umpires get together for about an hour and a half to discuss the play, and after it's over, put all the runners back on base, so it's now bases loaded and no one out, instead of a runner on second and 2 out. Of course, now there's another hour and a half discussion trying to explain it to Ozzie; I was actually surprised he got tossed because he didn't look like he was out of control. But I could read the umpire's lips, and I kept seeing, "But that's the rule!". It ending up having to do with an obstruction call at second base on the lead runner, and since that runner was the first to be tagged out, all other play(s) didn't happen. It was just one of those once-in-a-lifetime plays.

Chuck - tell your daughter Happy Birthday from all of us. Did you give pony rides for the kids?

(Used with permission.)