View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
he is assistant commissioner of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association and one of his major responsibilities is to coordinate the officials in the state. Basically he is the top official in Louisiana.
He is (or was) on the Fed hoops rules committee and worked hoops in the SEC (probably among others) as late as the early '90s. So he's a former working official.

I think some of you guys are being a bit over sensitive on his point. What I think he's saying is that (traditional) professional types have a different view of their time than others. It isn't that my time as a lawyer is more important than your time as a teacher or salesperson, or whatever. But its that I put a specific value on my time by the hour for my livelihood. Teachers and others don't do that specifically. so when we see we're paid $45 for two games that will take 3 hours, we immediately see $15 an hour when we charge, say, 10 times that much in our work. Teachers, for example, see $45, knowing their job is over for the day since school is out. They compare it to what they might earn working some other part time job. Thus, the pay rate is analyzed a lot more by professional types than it may be by folks in other vocations.

With that said, I need to get back to work!