View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
My goals at camp are: (1) learn something new and (2) have my games go as well as possible.

Teaching is nowhere on my list of camp priorities. If I want to teach at camp, I'll charge money instead of paying money. Additionally, if I try to help a fellow camper and he/she resents it, my goal #2 has less chance of being realized.

If I'm asked, I will (and have) certainly give any information that I think is important. But I have seen campers get very angry about receiving help from other campers. Since then, I purposely don't offer advice.

As I said earlier, that's just my own opinion. And if you have a history of giving pointers to other campers and it works for you, then I'm glad for you, honestly. But I think eventually, it will backfire.
My most recent example where I offered was directly towards your goal #2. The guy was in a mess after a critique by the evaluator. We had another game coming up in 45 minutes. If he was not ready for that, it would have potentially been a big mess. My advice intended to get us ready for the next game.