View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
I think the PU blew it big-time. Both BU's made the call, and the PU should let it stand. If the coaches think otherwise, they can ask the PUs to ask for help, and if they do, then the three of them confer.

Besides, it is VERY difficult to see if the drop was intentional or not. If I'm not sure, I would assume it was not, UNLESS the level of play in the game is very high (like MLB or AAA, say), and then I *still* would let the BUs make the call.

Remember, a fair ball, not catched is not a call at all, you just stay quiet.

Shmuel
Wow. Where to begin?

1. Pop-ups near the mound are PU's catch/no-catch.
2. An umpire who does not have catch/no-catch usually has other responsibilities.
3. Coaches cannot appeal to my partner for anything that's mine, though I can decide to ask him for help if I need it. If I were PU here, I can't see asking partners for help (see #2). Do your job, cover your responsibilities, get your calls.
4. Judging whether a ball is intentionally dropped is always HTBT. I don't see how anyone can tell whether PU got it right.
5. I've called this once in the last 5 years, and it was quite obvious. I was BU, and it was a soft liner at F4, right in front of me. Nobody else on the field happened to know the rule, but there were no complaints.
6. Very often you do NOT remain quiet on a fair ball not caught. E.G. Runners on base, liner to RF, F9 runs in but traps the ball. I will holler "no catch! no catch!" and signal "safe."

There's just no telling what you'll find on the internet.