View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Baiting Coach - Delay of Game?

In all my years of umpiring and coaching I have never had this happen so it caught me off guard but I want your opinions. I am both umpire and coach in our organization. I Coach 15U Girls SP and umpire when my team is not playing in the other age groups in SP and FP. Our league has a 60 minute time limit and 15 after 3 and 10 after 5. My team is very good and we have only taken a game to the time limit twice all year. With that said I do try to keep the score from getting too out of control and hold them to singles and what not when I can and also try and get these girls as much playing time as I can within the rules. In this particular situation I am up 15-1 in the bottom of the third, no outs and R1 on 3rd with almost 30 minutes left on the clock. The batter gets up and hits it to the outfield. I hold the runner on third and stop the batter at first. The PU screams at me from behind the plate I HAVE to run that runner at third home (No Force behind her). I told him that I will coach the team and he can umpire the game. He starts barreling down the baseline after me screaming so I turn my back and walk away telling him I will not be baited. He finally walks back into position. Once I got bases loaded and got a hit I ran the girl home. He is trying to use the delay of game tactic on me and I asked my UIC about it and he agrees with me that without the force and being a timed game that rule does not apply. All I was trying to do was give two more girls an at bat. If I was telling my girls to strike out to get to another inning or making a travesty of the game I could understand. By my interpretation of the rules I was OK. What say ye?

FYI: The next night he restricted a coach to the dugout for holding his girls to singles in a game he was up by over 20 runs using the same logic.