View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Dan Ref...Get off your flippin high horse.

First...I never said I would complain to the people running the camp. I just said that if someone felt that adamantly about something they should not always be expected to sit there and take it. I honestly believe that, under the correct circumstances, your honest opinion can be heard...especially if it is voiced in an survey at the end of camp.

Second...No, I would not expect my boss to "fire me on the spot" if someone complained. I have worked in the past in positions where I interacted with the customer and ran customer service departments. Angry customers complain...I hope you understand that basic fact. One complaint...nothing...a few complaints...I take notice, especially if they relate to the same individual. Lots of complaints...now I have an issue to address.

Third...I have been ripped at a camp in front of others...it was however a local camp. The evaluator, who didn't know any of us or our experience, dressed us each down for missing rotations and being out of position. It was my second time as part of a 3-official crew...for one of my partners it was his 4th...the seasoned vet in the crew had a whopping 8 games under his belt. I stood there a took it...but discounted everything he said during our session. He worked a lot of D1...but he was an arse hole and had trouble relating to the campers (or so I was told by two others who "checked up" on us after he was finished). Why was he there...so the camp could advertise they had officials from X conference working as evaluators.

Fourth...Great, you have passion for officiating. I do as well, though obviously not at your level. I am happy for you. I assume you want to advance as far as possible. I wish you success and hope you attain your goal..and I am not being sarcastic. For someone like you, the advice to keep quiet is probably best.

Just because someone has reached the highest level and is trusted by others does not mean he is a great teacher. Some very intelligent people can't teach. Some very talented people cannot communicate well. That does not mean they are not very good at what they do. It simply means they suck at teaching.

I plan on going to bigger and better camps next year where the odds of encountering "passionate and dedicated coaches and players" are good (need to completly recover from the fractured vertibrae suffered in my car accident). If they want to rip me publically they can...won't impact my "officiating career" in the least as I will not be attending with the hope of getting hired...just the hope of getting better.

That probably upsets and disappionts you...