View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Got a question for everyone. What, if anything, can be done about gross unsportsmanlike behavior after the last out of the game has been caught? Consider the following situation...

Third out is caught, players exit the dugout for the post-game handshake. Before umpires have left the playing field, one player, upset with the game, approaches the umpire, leaving him nowhere to go, and proceeds to hurl obscenities directed towards the umpire.

In years past, if I remember correctly, Rule 10 detailed when the umpires' authority began (when entering the dugout to check equipment) and when it ended (after vacating the playing field). However, the 2007 rule book does not appear to have this section anymore. Am I missing it? If so, where is it? If it was removed, can anyone enlighten me as to why this section was removed?
Ejection.....If you are still acting in the capacity of the umpire (which in my opinion is until you leave the grounds), you have whatever authority you had on the field during the game as it relates to players, coaches and sportsmanship. If you weren't acting in the capacity of the umpire, the player would have no reason to address you at all.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 06:40am.