View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaDave
It is a teaching camp, I went back in 2005 and they teach you some good philosophy but if your going looking to get hired you will be disappointed.
Dave not to be mean but if you said to an NBA referee that they teach good "philosophies", 99% of them would rip you a new one. The NBA referees ref according to performance standards and guidelines, they don't have "philosophies". There's no "he got hit and it didn't put him at a disadvantage, so I didn't blow" BS. If he got hit or bumped, then he got hit or bumped, hence you blow the whistle. If it's marginal or inconclusive then you leave it alone. They referee RSBQ (Rhythm, Speed, Balance, Quickness) on drives to the basket. It is part of their guidelines, it is NOT a philosophy. There is rarely any judgement calls having to be made when it comes to hands in the post game. If you have 2 hands, 2 forearms or a locked arm it is automatic. It's a straight forward guideline to referee with.

As far as the camp goes. There is only one open now and it is the one in Orlando. there will be about 13 NBA refs teaching there. If you have the funds, I would suggest going. If you want to be the best you have to learn from the best and the best will be there teaching. There will be some assignors there because of friendships with the Clinicians, but it is mainly an NBA exposure camp.

Go Go Go Go Go if you can.