Thread: Assistance
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
These wierdo plays seem to happen mainly in wreck games? Help me out with these please.

1. B1 slaps the ball away from the dribbler A1 in the frontcourt near the sideline. B1 jumps out of bounds tips the ball back onto the court & is the first to touch after establishing in bound status… violation or not? We had violation.
Why a violation? The player had in bound status. You are punishing a good defensive action.

Quote:
2. On the jump ball to start the game A5 gently taps once, the ball drops straight down, B1 (non-jumper) reaches into the circle & gains control… violation or not? My partner (chopping) had violation.
I'll answer by FIBA rules, but I believe that Fed and NCAA are pretty much the same:
12.2.8 No part of a non-jumper's body may be on or over the circle line (cylinder) before the ball has been tapped.
So, unless B1 reached in before the tap, it wasn't a violation.

Quote:
3. A5 goes for an offensive rebound but contacts B5 from behind in the process. Ruling: "push" or over-the-back as the fans like to say so we go the other way on the endline. The in-bounds pass goes out of bounds untouched on the sideline past half court. Before we administer the throw-in (on the same endline) the table says that A5s foul was the 7th team.
a. Is that correctable?
b. Do we shoot 1 & 1 even though the team just threw the ball away??
c. Would the lane be cleared & Team A in bounding on the same endline
where Team B turned it over?
My partner ruled that we will shoot 1 & 1 with players on the lane.
The error was still correctable, because the clock didn't start. Since team A did not get possession of the ball, play should resume normally after the free throws.