View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I understand that mike.

There is an additional aspect.. which is runner reaction (as discussed by WMB), that is why I questioned your initial comment. That is a criteria you are not applying here, and I was wondering why.

You can't reasonably protect a pitcher who is taking even fake stabs at runners IMO. They dont deserve that protection and are not entitled to it by rule.
I believe the RS (nee POE) is out of date. There have been changes in the rules portion which are not reflected in the RS.

This is the first year a "play" has been defined in the rule book. Originally, it didn't even consider the LBR until brought to the attention of those working on the wording.

Also brought to the staff's attention was that the rule exception previously stated that the play on "another" runner dropped the LBR. This was changed in the rule to read "any" runner (as it should), yet this wording has not been incorporated in RS 34.

Of course, there is another way to handle this "cat and mouse" game, isn't there?