Thread: Obstruction?
View Single Post
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
A) Sliding is slower than running. It is tactical, giving up speed for body position.
B) That is obviously a "deviated path" to home base.
C) Safe/Out has nothing to with whether there was OBS or it should be at least signalled.

I think you are justifying you _correctly_ not calling this OBS by pretending it really isnt OBS, just "player decision".

Its player decision based on OBS, an adjustment because no one is ever going to call that obs, so try to be safe instead.
Wade,
You're right, whether a runner is safe or not has nothing to do with whether or not obstruction occurred. If I implied that it did, I gave the wrong impression.
Like I said - as the skill level goes up, the expectations change. That game in the pic is adult ball and I'm assuming a high level of skill in those players. I work a fair amount of high level games - men's majors with a large number of international players. I do not have obstruction on that play in the picture.

Now, in the description given, we had a couple of facts given. I accepted those facts as facts. If you're not accepting them as factual, we are discussing two different plays.