View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

forum members:

tell me if i am wrong. i have been to numerous camps over the years and of the things that the clinicians emphasize is "see it happen,then make the call." i dont know if any of you were watching, but in the kent state game late, a player from kent was in the act of shooting and had drawn contact from the pitt defender. while in the act the referee blows his whistle and calls jump ball. the kent player continued through the whistle and made the shot. almost if not all of america thought the whistle was for a foul to be called on the pitt player. not the case, mr. stanley reynolds called it a jump ball. clearly it was the wrong call. this is a perfect example of "not" seeing it happen. this is also a perfect example of what guessing during a game will do to an official. you will get embarassed because of the end result. one of the things that i continue to preach to new officials is that, if you guess on plays or if you anticipate things you will eventually get into trouble. hopefully mr. reynolds will learn from this. i know we arent perfect, and i think mr. reynolds is a bigtime official. this is a situation that we can all learn from.

take care,
mightyvol