View Single Post
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it's over

Official will not pursue further action against coach
Lakota East's Walter Vickers apologized for post-game behavior toward referee at a Middletown game.

LIBERTY TWP. — The investigation into a Lakota coach accused of threatening a basketball referee is closed, according to state and Lakota officials.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled Lakota handled the situation appropriately and Lakota East Coach Walter Vickers apologized sufficiently for post-game behavior and comments Jan. 30 at the Lakota versus Middletown game at Lakota East High School.

Referee Eric Lindsay had complained that Vickers pointed at him and then approached in a threatening manner.

After the game, Lindsay said, Vickers goaded him to fight outside.

"No further communication or action is needed," wrote Henry Zaborniak Jr., assistant commissioner of the OHSAA. "The OHSAA considers the matter closed."

East Athletic Director Jim Rouff said Vickers had been jumping up and down excitedly on the court, and though he was wrong for pointing at the official, he said Vickers did not attempt to strike Lindsay. Vickers wrote an apology letter for speaking to Lindsay after the game.

"The accusations against me were unsubstantiated and frivolous," Vickers wrote in a released statement. "This was the second time this official has worked one of our games. I find it contentious that he would think he can evaluate my teaching and coaching, which is something I have been doing for 25 years."

Lindsay issued a statement Wednesday that said he believes there was enough "shame and embarrassment" brought on from the charges.

"Taxpayers will now be made to feel that their concerns will be taken seriously and that coaches will not be protected when they step out of line," he wrote. "I feel we have been successful and I have no problem moving on."

Georgetta Kelly, director of human resources for Lakota, said the district has closed its investigation.

During the investigation, she said the district realized it needed to improve its policy for handling complaints.

"We looked at a complaint tracking system," she said. "What we're going to do now is centralize complaints that come into the district."