View Single Post
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree the 2 halves work better. Seems like all summer league stuff has gone to that in some form -- either 16 minute full clock rules, 20 minute running clock, or some combination (e.g. running after a point spread). I guess mandate 12 minute for jr. high, but many of them would run 16 anyway.

The other change I want to see (and have been hissed at before for suggesting it) is to eliminate the 1 and 1, go to 2 shots on the 7th foul, and 2 shots and the ball on the tenth foul. Since nobody makes their free throws anymore and coaches know it, there's no real penalty for fouling. Yeah, I know, practice CAN remedy that, but it never does. This past year's NCAA tournament was case and point about how illiterate in free throw shooting supposedly good basketball players are today.

Hinted at above: a 20 or 25 point spread automatic running clock in the second half. Clock stops for timeouts only and we can debate whether to return it to regulation when spread is narrowed.

Others:

-- expand the coaching box to include the entire bench but nothing more;
-- allow the non-shooters in the lane on a free throw release;
-- consider a new punishment called "suspensions" which would put a player on the bench for the rest of the half -- sort of a mini-ejection; this will take some thought to word right and get consistent;
-- consider mandating 3 official crews for ALL high school games, including freshman and JV. The schools CAN afford it, but will have to be dragged to doing it, so the Fed can take the blame. The 2 official crew in football, used extensively in the 50s and 60s, has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur.