View Single Post
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised to see even one person defend the blue pants, but hey, there's no accounting for taste.

Except for protective equipment, the baseball/softball umpire uniform is less a matter of function than in other sports. In basketball and even football, you have officials on the field standing next to players and they need to wear something obviously different to stand out so they don't, for example, receive a pass (though I've been passed the ball several times in hoops!!). In baseball/softball, you are pretty much off the field and contrast isn't a big deal. At that point, in my view, its just a matter of looking professional. In my opinion, navy blue pants with navy jackets that often don't match (not to mention a blue cap) doesn't look professional. That's why I think baseball is finally on to something with black. They have 2 colors: black and gray, and that's it (including shoes, with the occasional white trim). Black is also a good authority color.

But, as I said, that's just me. If you guys like them, great. I sort of thought that the general response would be something like, "yeah, we've been trying to get ASA to do that for years..."