View Single Post
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly called, ball drops, fielders run

I think I know the answer to this question, but I cannot find anything in the ASA rule book that addresses the situation.

R1 at 3rd, R2 at 2nd, and R3 at 1st (bases loaded) with no outs. Fly ball is hit just in front of 2nd base. Plate umpire calls "Infield Fly, batter is out". Ball hits the fielder's glove then hits the ground and is not caught. All runners are off the base on the release of the pitch and none of the base runners return to the base to tag up, as they attempt to advance to the next base. F6 throws the ball to home and tags R1 out before she scores, then F2 throws to F3 who tags 1st base. The umpire has the batter out, R1 out after being tagged at home, but says R3 is not out because she does not have to tag up on a dropped infield fly.

My understanding of the rule is a base runner must tag up after the point where the fielder should have made 1st contact with the ball if they had caught it. I didn't think it mattered if the girl caught it or not, the infield fly assumes the fielder caught the ball. So, I thought the call should have been a triple play with Batter out, R1 out at home, and R3 out for not tagging up at 1st.

The only problem is I cannot find this rule in the rule book. Can anyone clarify what should be called and point me to the rule which defines this? AT what time must the base runner tag up on a dropped infield fly?

Thanks,
Clevbrown