Thread: My 1ST Ejection
View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:49pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Have you been to a major league game? You should hear what is said there, both on and off the field. There is more swearing going on there than any amateur game. I see babies, toddlers, grade school kids, and teenagers at these games. They are exposed to much worse than a "damn" or "hell."

I'm not condoning profanity. I personally don't care to hear it, especially if they slide God or Jesus into the mix, or scream nasty obscenities. I shut that stuff down immediately. My ears aren't garbage cans. But if you are afraid of what 3-4 year old children are picking up at the ballyard, don't bring them along. It isn't a church social, it's a baseball game, complete with players and coaches who spit, scratch, chew, and cuss, as has been the tradition since Alexander first laid out the ballfield.
Let me try this analogy - if you were at a jr high school, and some kid was giving a campaign speech for student government president and added a "hell" or a "damn" in the speech - how long to you think it would take before the kid had his butt hauled down to Mr. Principal's office for a long lecture and possible suspension, because he violated the school policy against profanity. And you know what - most parents would come to their child's defense, and the schools would cite it's tolerance policy. Is it dumb, certainly, beyond all description of common sense. Is it going to change, probably not. Is there anything you can do about it, probably not as well.

I umpire games for a league that has one of those beyond all description of common sense rules about profanity. But it's no different than the jr high - if it isn't tolerated there, why should it be tolerated at a baseball game involving players at the same age level?

BTW, I've been to many MLB games.