View Single Post
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Mistakes and errors under 2-10 and 2-11 have priority over 5-6.
Agreed.

Quote:
There is language in the books to that effect.

2.11.10 SITUATION C: The scorer mistakenly credits a field goal by A1 to B1 and Team B in the second quarter. The regulation game ends with the score tied. During a time-out in overtime, the scorer detects the mistake and advises the referee. RULING: The referee will have the mistake corrected. The overtime will continue with the corrected score. Once the ball becomes live in the overtime, the overtime will be played even though a subsequent correction of an error or mistake changes the score. A bookkeeping mistake can be corrected at any time until the final score is approved.
Problem is that this example is a "bookkeeping mistake" example, not a true CE. Bookkeeping errors can be corrected at any time until the final score is approved. CEs have a definite time limit.

Quote:
Thus it seems obvious that if the ball has not yet become live in the overtime, the overtime will NOT be played when the correction of an error or mistake changes the score.
While I agree with your conclusion, again, I think this reasoning is flawed for the reasons given above.

Quote:
Lastly, we have discussed on this forum what to do if the officials discover a correctable error during halftime which occurred near the end of the second quarter and such that the period ending horn created the first dead ball period since the error. We have always said that it was still correctable.
Agreed.

Quote:
I even recall one particular thread in which someone posted a response from the NFHS office, which called the halftime intermission "the longest dead ball period in the game"
Could pre-game warmups be considered a dead ball period?