View Single Post
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Now 2 nit picky question on Nevada's post for discussion

1) The buzzer sounded for the fourth quarter and then they ended up shooting FT's for the correctable error. Is this one where the game ends in a tie and the points then count and go into OT or are you shooting for the win with these shots?

Rule 5.6

Art. 2... Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal sounds indicating time has expired.

There are 4 exceptions and shooting on a correctable error is not one of them....
Not exactly the same thing, but the principle is the same. The NFHS came out with this interp this past season:

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 10: The score is tied at the end of regulation time. During the intermission between the fourth quarter and the beginning of the overtime period, the official scorer advises the referee that A1's three-point goal earlier in the fourth quarter was recorded in the scorebook improperly as a two-point goal. The referee verifies the mistake. RULING: The game is over and Team A has won. Since the ball had not yet become live in the overtime period, it need not be played. (2-11-11; 5-3; 5-7-4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
2) Now I am going to play devil's advocate and ask this question. Specifically related to Rule 5.6 for discussion purposes as well,

If the horn at the end of the fourth quarter has sounded the quarter is over by rule. How can the error be corrected once the quarter is over? If the quarter has ended and the game is over and under what rule would you proceed under to allow the FT's since this is not one of the 4 exceptions to the end of the quarter after the buzzer?
Mistakes and errors under 2-10 and 2-11 have priority over 5-6. There is language in the books to that effect.

2.11.10 SITUATION C: The scorer mistakenly credits a field goal by A1 to B1 and Team B in the second quarter. The regulation game ends with the score tied. During a time-out in overtime, the scorer detects the mistake and advises the referee. RULING: The referee will have the mistake corrected. The overtime will continue with the corrected score. Once the ball becomes live in the overtime, the overtime will be played even though a subsequent correction of an error or mistake changes the score. A bookkeeping mistake can be corrected at any time until the final score is approved.

Thus it seems obvious that if the ball has not yet become live in the overtime, the overtime will NOT be played when the correction of an error or mistake changes the score.

Lastly, we have discussed on this forum what to do if the officials discover a correctable error during halftime which occurred near the end of the second quarter and such that the period ending horn created the first dead ball period since the error. We have always said that it was still correctable. I even recall one particular thread in which someone posted a response from the NFHS office, which called the halftime intermission "the longest dead ball period in the game" and said that the error was correctable following the halftime intermission. (Plus JR and I once had a nice "spat" about whether or not to use the AP arrow to begin the third quarter! ) Why can't I find that NFHS response with the search engine? Maybe someone else can. All that I found was the situation posted by KenThree which got locked.
Correactable error

Remember that thread!