View Single Post
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Interesting situation you bring up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
1) The buzzer sounded for the fourth quarter and then they ended up shooting FT's for the correctable error. Is this one where the game ends in a tie and the points then count and go into OT or are you shooting for the win with these shots?
I think they're shooting for the win, so to speak. The only time you would start OT with FTs would be if the 4th quarter had completely ended with the score tied, then a technical foul was assessed. Remember the axiom from exception 3 - "No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next."

Quote:
2) Now I am going to play devil's advocate and ask this question. Specifically related to Rule 5.6 for discussion purposes as well,

If the horn at the end of the fourth quarter has sounded the quarter is over by rule. How can the error be corrected once the quarter is over? If the quarter has ended and the game is over and under what rule would you proceed under to allow the FT's since this is not one of the 4 exceptions to the end of the quarter after the buzzer?
You certainly have a valid argument, but I think I would say that 2-10 takes precedent over 5-6-2. Indirectly, 2-2-4 and 2-5-7 give you some coverage. Also, 2-10-2 simply gives a time limit for correcting a CE based on live ball/dead ball status - NOT an absolute time limit or saying when the quarter/half/game is over (a la football).

Two examples to go along with my thinking:
1. This same situation occurs, but with 1.7 seconds left in the 2nd quarter. At halftime, the scorers are comparing their books and realize that a 1-and-1 should have been shot. I would have the kid shoot the FTs after halftime was done and go from there. (This may be circular logic, though - it's way too late.)
2. Fourth quarter, 1.7 seconds on the clock, when the referee whistles A1 for travelling. The timer is checking out the cheerleaders, so the clock runs down to 0.0 and the horn sounds. I realize this isn't a CE, per se, but you still use 5-10-1 and reset the clock to 1.7 even though 5-6-2 may suggest otherwise.