View Single Post
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Working a Dixie Ponytails game tonight, and encountered something I never have before. I'm PU, close play at the plate, R1 stealing from 3B on PB, but R1 is safe, under tag by pitcher, so I come up with big "SAFE" call. R1 runs into dugout, and defensive coach asked for time, and comes to see me. "I want to appeal," he says, "She missed home plate." "Okay," I say, "you'll have to make a proper appeal though." Well, turns out the coach doesn't know how to make a proper appeal, and so he wants me to tell him how to make one. I am baffled for a moment, and then tell him that I can't do that. He begins to argue with me, at which point I tell him that he needs to get back in the dugout, and that I will not be telling him how to make a proper appeal.

1.) Should I have told him how to make a proper appeal? My logic was, if I tell him, I could be giving him an unfair advantage. It's his job to know how to make a proper appeal.

2.) Does it change matters that R1 would have still been safe? She clearly touched home plate, so on the appeal she still would have been safe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think you made the proper statement.

It is the coach's job to know the rules.

After the game I would have been more than willing to educate the coach on the proper appeal and where to find it in the rule book.