Thread: NCAAW Rules
View Single Post
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Over-Officiating ...

From Old School: "This borders on over-officiating. Why look for trouble?"

I agree 100%! Our IAABO interpreter questioned this 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam answer with IAABO and was told that the question and answer, as I stated in an earlier post, which, by the way, I copied word for word from the exam, was not a mistake. Mistakes happen on two or three questions every year, I can't believe that a large organization, like IAABO, can't do a better job of proofreading.

Our interpreter has told us to ignore this IAABO "interpretation" of NFHS rules. When we count players during the warmups, and check the scorebook, we like to see more players listed in the book than are on the floor.

In my opinion, this has been the worst question and answer that I've ever seen on an IAABO exam or refresher exam in my 27 years with IAABO. A close second to this question, was the refesher exam question asking if it was legal for players to play basketball in a "football three-point stance".

When I was coaching (yes, I was on the "Dark Side" for over twenty-five years), I would list all fourteen of my squad members, in numerical order, in the book, for every game, even if players were sick, injured, or in street clothes on the bench for a suspension, etc., and I would instruct my manager to simply copy this list of fourteen players from game to game, thus avoiding any possibility of a technical foul for not listing player.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 06, 2007 at 12:51pm.