View Single Post
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Missed it, Blew it, and it was BAD

NFHS game. R3 & R1. 2 out. R1 steals on the pitch, the catcher fires a throw to 3rd (a set play i think), F5 playing 1/2 way up the line fakes catching the ball F6 has moved to cover 3rd and catches the ball about belt high, a few feet towards home, and tags the runner just as she was starting her dive back to 3rd.

My partner, the BU, calls the runner safe . I believe he may have been shielded by F6 and missed seeing the tag. It was in front of the defense's 3rd base dugout to boot. Defensive coach yells " Can I appeal this." BU says " No it's a judgement call." He's right and maybe if she had said could you ask for help or ask you partner what he saw maybe it would have been different.

I know I can't say anything unles my partner asks for help, but it just doesn't seem right to say nothing. This was not a split second difference between the tag and touch the base. In basketball my association recommends go to your partner and tell him what you saw and let him change the call if he wants which I agree with. In softball and baseball you don't see this approach to getting the call right. But should we look at that type of mechanic. I am talking on the obvious, no doubters, not the bang bang plays where even slowmotion replay you can't help you decide.

Let the debate begin.