View Single Post
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
Two mistakes doesn't make one right call. Yes, they kicked when the run was waived off. They had until the next pitch to correct it and they didn't, neither did Baltimore challenge the incorrect application of the rules. Three innings later, the umpires decided to take it upon themselves to protest their mistake and correct it. This is an error because the time for correcting the error had passed. This is, quite literally, a make-up call.

Screwing up once does not give you license to intentionally screw up again because you think the second one makes up for the first.
1) MLB ruled they were right. Again, we are umpires, we enforce not interpret. There is nothing that prohibits them from doing what they did. Some tradition, maybe, but rule no. MLB Interpreted that the umpires were correct in their actions. That is good enough for me.

2) This was not an appeal or protest, before they added the run, so nothing says the have 1 pitch/play to fix it.

3) Like I said earlier, these guys aren't MLB umpires because they never make mistakes, they are MLB umpires because they can handle their ****. Great umpires are definded by being able to get out of hairy situations, and have the call be right, no ejections if possible, no protests if possible, and winning one if you have it. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES ON THE FIELD, not everyone has the knowledge and/or skill set to fix em in a ****house.

I could be wrong, and we don't have to agree, but the men that get paid to make the decisions publically said the umpires did the right thing.

"Mindful of their obligation that 'the first requisite is to get decisions correctly,' as the Rules instruct them, this umpire crew was within the authority that Rule 9.01(c) gave them to correct the game score when they did."