View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I am just saying that while you are correct, for an appeal to be made by a team the rules dictate that it must be done before the next pitch and/or before the players leave the field and what not. However, this wasn't an appeal play. This was the umpires working to get it right. And I can't find a section in the book that states they have a time limit to do that. The teams yes, the umpires no. You said it Pete, we do live in an imperferct world, and while the timing was imperfect, the call was correct. And Mc, you want to talk about cojones, man, would any of us have the cojones to do what Ed and the boys did? It truly will be interesting to see what MLB says.
No, I would never have the cojones (nor the audacity) to reverse a call made 3 innings ago, whether I was right or wrong in retrospect. Not because I have a lack of such anatomy ... but because it is the wrong thing to do. Just as the opposing team has until the next pitch to reverse a mistaken rules interpretation, the same limit should be applied to us.