View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This play was handled very well and the crew is to be comended for not caring what it looked like or what they looked like, but putting their personal interests aside and getting the freaking call right.
We all have our opinions but IMO, this play was not handled very well at all especially when you have 4 very well trained umpires at the highest level. As I said in my first post, if this were an amateur game, this crew would be getting "killed" by everyone.

Quote:
You can't protest a judgement call and it was Ed's judgement to have the run awarded. It doesn't matter when, when he did it was still the right call.
IMO, the timing does matter.

Let me use an extreme example to get my point across.

In NFL football, pass interference is a judgement call and it is a spot foul. let's say we had a controversial play in the end zone a blatant Pass interference which was not called. The offense proceeds to run 2 more plays and then punts the ball. All of a sudden the officials huddle and now want to 'go back" and enforce the pass interference call.

One might say wait a minute Pete you are comparing apples / oranges. IMO I am not. In baseball a run is a HUGE factor in the game. IMO, you cannot go back and Retroactively put runs on the Board. The game is dictated by how many runs one is leading by. It effects the pitching match-ups etc.

The O's had plenty of time to question the play or appeal it. They didn't so IMO, you cannot go back and put runs on the Board.

My opinion doesn't count so we will have to wait and see what major league baseball does. Whatever the decision, it's my gut money will come into it, meaning if the protest is upheld, do the people who attended that game have free seats to see the game picked up from the protest or will they have 2 admissions sort of a day / night type double dip.

If the protest is NOT upheld then IMO the floodgates could be open.

IMO, this theory about getting the call right is overhyped becasue the fact is We will not get every call right. Timing is a factor that's why the rule-makers put "time limits" if you will into the appeal rules. We live in an imperfect world.

Bottom Line IMO, a Very Poor job by this umpiring crew.

Pete Booth