View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
That sounds plausible, but I'm not sure it is legal.

ASA and NFHS CR rules are identical, so in doing some digging per ASA I found a 2007 ASA test question which is pertinent.

36FP) JO Fast Pitch. In the bottom of the third inning, B1, who is the catcher, leads off with a single. After reaching 1B the offensive coach requests time and reports CR1 for the catcher. R2 executes a sacrifice bunt moving CR1 to 2B. The offensive coach again requests time and reports that S1 will substitute for B1, the catcher, and CR1 will return to the dugout. The umpire rules:
a. Illegal, a substitute may not enter the game for a courtesy runner.
b. Illegal, the team must put the catcher back in for the courtesy runner.
c. Legal and S1 replaces the catcher in the line-up.
d. None of the above.

The answer key says "d" is the correct answer, which would make "c" not legal. The rules reference though is to 8-9-B-2 which is NOT the Fast Pitch section. I can't find where subbing for the catcher would be dis-allowed in the rules, but according to the test it would not be allowed. Perhaps there is a mis-print in the ASA test, or (heaven forbid) I am not reading something correctly!
I considered "c", but remembered that the pitcher or catcher can not run in place of the CR, unless the CR is injured.
Which is also saying that "a" applies, but is not the whole story or I guess the point of the question.