View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I was having dinner with 7 NCAA umpires when this umpires when this play happened and they were working two man during the game. 5 of the 8 of us had por experience and 2 of the 5 had MLB fill-in time, one guy with over 900 games. We were talking before they added the run in the 6th and When I suggested that they might in the 5th and it happened in the 6th we all got an ohhh my god look in our faces, but then we talked about why they did it. They did it because their ultimate goal is to get it right.

Guys are always *****ing about a guy kicking a call or a crew making a mistake. THIS IS WHEN THE BEST UMPIRING IS DONE AND THE REAL CREAM RISES TO THE TOP. Yes, they should have never missed the call, but they did and then they got it right. The idea as it was explained to me when I was in pro ball and being evaluated was not to be perfect, but get in a **** house and come out on the other side clean. You never wanted to have a nothing game when you were being looked at. This play was handled very well and the crew is to be comended for not caring what it looked like or what they looked like, but putting their personal interests aside and getting the freaking call right.

As for the protest, I honestly think that it will not be allowed. The protest was made by Cleveland when they added the run, but they umpires simply did they right thing once they realized what that was. So the timing of the protest by Cleveland was correct, but in the "judgement" of the umpires, they did what they felt was correct. You can't protest a judgement call and it was Ed's judgement to have the run awarded. It doesn't matter when, when he did it was still the right call.

To answer the lack of support in the rules, their is no support either way, so as per 9.01c they had the right to do what they did.

Fell free to tell me that I am wrong, because all 7 of my friends did.
Might be without precedent, but as you stated it sounds like they did a "right" thing.

I think they will disallow the protest also because the rules are not very clear either way.

As we know in baseball, there is a first time for everything.

Thanks
DAvid