View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comical
From what I understand, Cleveland is playing this game under protest. Here's the lead from the AP story and a link (that I hope works) from the ESPN site.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A bizarre set of circumstances in Saturday night's game between the Baltimore Orioles and Cleveland Indians featured a run that was disallowed in the third inning apparently being counted three innings later.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270428105
IMO, the problem in major league baseball is because of the huge scoreboards etc. etc. the umpires get into a comfort zone and do not VERBALLY communicate like we would in 2 person.

I am pretty certain the PRO schools go over this because we are taught on a time play to signal to our partners that we could have a potential TIME play and then if one does occur, say RUN COUNTS or RUN Does not count.

IMO, this crew should be embarassed.

We saw this in the Angels/White Sox series on the contoversial uncaught third strike.

IMO, Major League baseball needs to tell the head of the PRO Umpires that more verbalization / communication is needed. Just because this is major league baseball doesn't mean you will not encounter some "strange" things. Also, a player failing to tag up on a fly ball is not all that strange especially if it's a diving catch in the outfield.

Also, I am shocked that this crew had to refer to the rule-book to get it right.

If the aforementioned happened in the LLWS or some other youth event, most would say "well you get what you paid for" or "that's why they call them LL umpires" or something along those lines.

Pete Booth