View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

The clinician indicated that since it was second base that was missed only the first two runs would score because only the first two runners would have crossed home before the BR reached second.

That claim is patently idiotic on its face. The runner from 2B is almost always across home plate by the time a BR is thrown out at 2B.

But yes, now that you mention it, I've also heard that rationale. I derives from stickball and wiffle ball, where you might have only 2 on a side and be forced to use invisible runners. If the human is tagged out at 2B for the 3rd out, the invisible runner from 2B doesn't score.

Also, ball goes over that tree branch, single. Ball goes in the pool, two bases. Ball hits the roof, 3 bases. These are the clinicians you're dealing with.

A few years ago, I had to re-educate some players who thought that if Abel is on 3B and Baker on 2B with 2 out, and Charles hits a single and is then thrown out trying for 2B, only Abel scores. Somehow they had gotten the idea that with Charles not advancing 2 bases, Baker isn't allowed to score.

But your "clinician" is 100% wrong.

Please let us know what else he said during your clinic. I suspect it might be entertaining.