View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 10, 2002, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to camaulds
Situation (2 man Officiating mechanics)First round of the HS playoffs and the loser goes home...Team A ahead by 3 with 7.2 seconds to go and shooting 2 freethrows...Team A has 4 players back on defense, none near the FT shooter...Team B has all 5 with the FT shooter, 3 table side and two opposite the table

Shooter misses the first shot...The Lead takes the missed shot and as he does two Team B players begin to wave their arms going from down below the waist to directly over their heads...This is to encourage the crowd to yell louder...Lead tosses shooter the ball and one of the two Team B players ceases waving but the other does not...The Team B player still waving is on the baseline nearest the Lead Official...As Team A player shoots the Team B player is still waving from below the waist to above the head.

This is clearly a violation and the waving movement is the worst I have ever seen in a V game at any level..Team A misses the FT and Team B rebounds.

Would you have called disconcerting the shooter in this situation if you were the Lead?...This player would have been the Lead's responsibility due to his position on the baseline but there were only the 3 Team B players on that table side with 2 opposite the table side...What would you do if you were the Trail and the Lead passed on it?

I need some unbiased opinions please...Should the call have been made no matter the situation-score/playoff/loser goes home?... Should the kids "be allowed to settle things on the floor" and not by the Official's whistle?...I can tell you there have been 2 very wide schools of thought around here as to whether or not game Officials should have passed or made the call... After a few responses I will post what we did.