Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You got a lot of difference responses here because this is a very good question. If you are new and just starting out, I would call this a foul. The reason is, nobody going to fault you for calling this a foul. In fact, in NFHS it is a foul and there's no such thing as a 80/20. Throw that out.

In college men's, you analyzed the play correctly, with the patient whistle. Now, we have to look at the end result of the play. If the guy blocked the shot, I got nothing, you let the good defensive play stand. We don't punish good defense. However, the same play and I'm lead and I got a bump on the offensive player, and then the subsequent block of the shot. I put air in the whistle, defense. However, I wish I would have passed because it was a good block. Too late, I already called it, can't take it back, it happens. I looked like and felt like an amatuer making that call. This is why they preach patient whistle. See the play thru. However, at the upper levels, patient whistle could also mean miss the play because the athletes are so quick. So there's a balance, and sometimes you're going to miss. I don't 2nd guess myself here, I just try to be consistent. If I screw it up on this end of the court, then it's going to be a foul on the other end. That's all you can do on this type of play.

You ever notice how when you make a call as the lead, you become the new lead on the other end. This helps to call the game consistently. I think they are talking about taking that away for next year. The calling official will become the C in NCAA Men's.
So you are telling me that if you screw up a play on one end, you screw it up on the other right? This is to be consistant right? So you want to be consistantly wrong... Gotcha.

How bout... I screw it up on one end (it does happen) but I learn from it and if it happens on the other end I go ahead and get it right on the other end and do the game right. If the coach asks about it, I have to tell him that I got the play wrong originally but I am working very hard to get the rest of them right. That is how a pro would handle it.

And BS on the stuff not applying in NFHS b/c it does. You have to judge each play as it happens.