View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Learning about IPs

I worked my first tourney this past Saturday. I had a partner at BU who had worked a state semifinal HS game, and several NSA world series. In one of my games, a pitcher knelt down in the circle like Mark Fidrych used to do (but didn't talk to the dirt) and literally pulverized the dirt with the ball. I had to call IP and my partner didn't seem to have a problem with that.

In a later game with the same partner I had a girl start her pitch with her left foot toe touching about 6 inches behind the plate. I called IP (NSA rules). Coach came out, I told him about the rule, he was clueless and thanked me and told his F1to do it the right way. Between innings, partner told me that I should let him make those calls. Pitcher was legal for another inning or so, then reverted to the IPs and partner said nothing.

It was raining by the end of the game so we couldn't talk, but I guess the practice is to let some things go in lower level travel ball.

I say lower level because these were 12U kids who were not exactly elite level players.

I'm sure the next "senior" partner I get will want me to call everything by the book.

I'm getting the opinion that calling IPs is very "indivualistic" from one umpire to another.

Interestingly enough, we had a lights out pitcher here at a No. Va high school 2 years ago who only lost once all year, in the state championship game. My association buddies, said that she pitched illegal all year and that nobody would call it.