View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I think you're right about the rulebook. But here in Canada, every official that I've worked with uses the same principle as our American friends. The hand is part of the ball, figuratively speaking.

I would be curious as to what is the official FIBA interpretation? I find it hard to believe that it would be a foul in International basketball to slap the hand of a player holding the ball. Then again, this is the same organization that says it not basket intereference for a defensive player to touch the ball by going through the bottom of the basket.
There used to be a rule about the hand in contact with the ball. During some reorganization of the rulebook, they apparently forgot to insert it. It has happened many times There is no official interpretation that I know of. But officials act usually just as if the rule existed.

Once they forgot to insert a rule about basket interference: for a while it was legal to touch the ball after it touched the ring even when (a) the official had blown the whistle for a foul or (b) play time had expired. Imagine that Now they switched back and declared illegal (basket interference) such actions, if the ball is above ring level, of course.

This however is a patent contradiction with the rule that says that a try ends when the ball touches the ring (a modification introduced some time ago and not advertised). Well, at least some real basketball rule is preserved.

However, you are not completely correct in the rule about reaching through the basket and touching the ball: it is still basket interference if the ball is inside the basket or it has not yet touched the ring on a try (31.2.4).